On 28 August 2017, under the auspices of Shanghai General Secretary Han Zheng, Director of SASAC (State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission) of State Council Xiao Yaqing, the Mayor of Shanghai Ying Yong, CNNC (China National Nuclear Corporation) and Shanghai Economy and Information Technology Commission signed an agreement for CNNC to locate its advanced nuclear technology R&D center in Shanghai.
Under the agreement, CNNC will establish the following entities in Shanghai
- Nuclear Operation Research Institute
- Heavy Water Reactor Research and Development Company
- Nuclear Technology Investment Company
- Floating Nuclear Power Platform Development Company
- UK-China Joint Nuclear Research and Innovation Center
The Chariman of CNNC Wang Shoujun said “Shanghai will be a very important base of CNNC’s future development, Shanghai is now targeting to be a global leading research and innovation center, which will help China to become a significant scientific power.”
Elaborating further, Wang Shoujun highlighted that in the new era, CNNC will make use of the industrial, financial, technological, and location advantages of Shanghai, focusing on advanced technology research and development, deepening the cooperation with Shanghai, to establish a hundred-billion level capital operation platform and a strong driving force of the nuclear industry.
CNNC Shanghai R&D Center will focus on the research of developing:
- New nuclear reactor technology
- Nuclear manufacturing
- Innovation of nuclear service industry
It will make Shanghai the hub of five sub-fields in the nuclear industry:
- Nuclear Technology Innovation Center
- Nuclear Industry Financial Service Center
- High-end Nuclear Equipment Supply Center
- Nuclear Safety and Security Service Center
- Nuclear Healthcare and Medication Industry Center
CNNC and Shanghai have been working together for a very long time ever since the first nuclear power plant in China. It believes that the cooperation between CNNC and Shanghai will bring the development of China’s nuclear industry to a new high level.
This article was first published here